sobota, března 12, 2022

When the life is upside down

More than two weeks the war is raging in Ukraine, civilians are dying or fleeing into the safety … and uncertainty.

Will we humans never learn? Do we need to make same mistakes again and again? Only with better tools and equipment, maybe even knowledge … and weapons that can kill more people at once and destroy homes and infrastructure.

“We” (meaning those living outside the war zone) may fear, that the war will spread further, that we’ll need to get used to lower living standards, less traveling … thinking what can we do without.

Idiotically, there is an advantage for me, who lived till the age 34 in Czechoslovakian totality. We didn’t have that many supermarkets per capita as there was not much to be marketed. We couldn’t choose our favorite bread or butter. Coming home from work I usually got two choices – try the only other shop in my area or think of a meal without bread and butter. We didn’t have mountains of plastic rubbish, because their boom started in the 2nd half of 20.century.

Hence my advantage – I can only mirror how we lived in my childhood and my teens … in the sense of materialism. But “there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch”. For impossibility to make our own decisions we paid by our freedoms, living in a “secure cage” behind the Iron Curtain.

Still, also with a bit of absurdity, I remember with kind of nostalgia early sixtees … because at that time I was a child and I was living together with my family. I think my parents, who were young during WWII, never got over the Warsaw Pact invasion in August 1968. Now I do understand, but can’t ask them …

Žádné komentáře: